Renting with Warners - Advice and Costs for Tenants
If you are looking for a property to rent you will need to know how much you can afford.
Part of the application process includes an affordability check. We advise that you check how much you can afford before beginning to look for houses.
Finding a property that will accept pets is a little more tricky but not impossible. Accepting an animal at a property is at the discretion of the landlord.
If a property accepts pets we will advertise this within the properties description.
An additional £200 is normally held as a pet deposit, alongside the property damage deposit on signing the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.
A Landlords’ mortgage agreement will state whether or not they can accept a tenant receiving housing benefit or not.
All tenants receiving house benefit will also have to have a guarantor with an income suitable for the rent of the house. To check this, please use our Affordability Calculator.
It is strongly advised that tenants take out contents insurance to protect their personal possessions, as these are not covered by Landlord’s insurance.
Generally a damage deposit for a property managed by Warners Lettings is £100 more than a month’s rent. For example; a property with a rent of £525 will require a damage deposit of £625. Damage deposits can be any figure, the actual amount is displayed on the advertising details for each individual property.
Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST) Signing
When you come into the office to sign the AST Agreement you will also have to pay then first month’s rent and damage deposit. These will need to be in cleared funds before the AST can be signed. For this reason a bank transfer is normally easiest.
A member of staff will talk you through the AST and answer any questions you may have to make sure you are comfortable and confident when you sign.
You will be given a copy of the AST along with other important documentation to keep for your records.
You will not be able to apply for a property unless you have viewed it.
On viewing you may ask for an application form, or visit the office to collect one.
We will be more than happy to talk the application form through with you. Once an application has been lodged we are unable to accept another for the same property.
If you would like to ask any questions about the application process please contact us on 01953 423405 or email us at email@example.com.
TENANT FEE STRUCTURE INFORMATION– Please read carefully
Fees due when a tenant wishes to secure/rent a property
Lettings Agency work fee and reference fee per tenant/applicant - £160.00 including VAT
This fee covers the following:
- All lettings agency work carried out to process the tenant application.
- Referencing which includes: credit check, residential history check, affordability assessment, employment referencing, proof of residency check and ID check. Warners use an outside referencing company to carry out much of the referencing process.
- All written and telephone communication completed by Warner’s staff to complete the referencing and application process.
- Right to Rent checks.
- Preparation of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST).
- Agreeing and advising on terms of tenancy.
- Advice and guidance regarding landlord and tenant law throughout the term of the tenancy.
No additional payment is charged throughout the tenancy and checkout for the above items unless, a new fixed term tenancy agreement (not a rolling periodic tenancy) is created.
On application we will require: proof of identity (a valid passport, or photo card driving license which is registered to you at your current address) plus proof of residency (a valid photo card driving license which is registered to you at your current address, a council tax bill - no more than 3 months’ old, a letter confirming your current address from your employer on headed paper, a house or motor insurance certificate, or a current fixed term Tenancy Agreement).
- The above fees are non-refundable once the referencing has started and/or if the applicant(s) decide to pull out, and/or if the reference(s)/application/(s) are declined.
- If the agent or the landlord pulls out, the fees will be returned in full to the applicant(s).
- The full fee will apply to tenants paying 6 months’ rent in advance.
- Inventory and property condition report - Tenant share: £50.00 no VAT. Applicable per new tenancy. Payable at the same time as the above fees. Returnable only if no tenancy is entered into.
- Change/addition or swap of a tenant during an existing fixed term or periodic tenancy will cost £160.00 including VAT. This includes new referencing for ONE tenant. Any additional references required will cost £108.00 including VAT.
- Guarantor Fee including reference: £160.00 including VAT.
- First month’s rent – paid in advance and each month on the same date thereafter AND
- Damage deposit – normally equivalent to one month’s rent + £100 (unless otherwise specified) AND
- Pet security deposit – normally £200 per pet (unless otherwise specified) providing the landlord has granted permission.
Early surrender fee
If a tenant has to vacate a property before their fixed tenancy term is up, they must pay their rent until another suitable tenant is found, referenced and a new tenancy has been signed. In addition , the outgoing tenant must pay half of their monthly rent + VAT for landlord fees owed to the agent for this work.
Payments due on, or before, the tenancy start date:
The amount paid as damage deposit & pet deposit are dependent upon the instructions of the landlord. If a damage deposit and pet deposit are different from those described above, we will advertise the amount on all web based portals.
The above monies must be paid in ‘cleared funds’ on, or before, the tenancy start date. Cleared funds are those which have been processed through the banking system and received into our bank account. Bank transfers and cheques can take 5 working days to clear.
Late rent payments:
In the event that the rent is late, the tenant must pay interest at a rate of 1% per annum above the Bank of England base rate on any rent or other money which is owed, and which remains unpaid for more than 14 days.
Interest is paid from the date the payment was due until the rent is received by us.
Late rent letters sent to the tenant will be charged at £9.00 including VAT per letter.